Pay It Forward!
SEPTEMBER 2011 UPDATE: Wow! Check out the cards we've received back so far and see what a simple act of kindness can lead to! Postmarks are from Australia, Texas, Hawaii, Pennsylvania, California, and all across the 5 Boroughs — and people from China, South Korea, London, Canada, Russia, Turkey, Domincan Repulic, Poland, Paris, Hungary, Brazil, East Africa, West Africa, Australia, California, New York State, Virginia, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and of course New York! Remember, be K&G and always Pay It Forward!
About the Initiative
During the last week of the 2010 school year, the students of PS11 will take their Kind & Gentle philosophy out into the community to see how their own actions can have far-reaching effects. Each grade came up with their own K&G Pay it Forward good deed.
• PreK will be going up to the highline and reading Goldilocks and the Three Bears, then giving out little bears to people.
• Kindergarten will go to the Highline and sing songs to passersby
• First Grade will make paper flowers and given them out at the Main Post Office
• Second Grade will go to Battery Park City and give out notes with nice sayings on them and decorate sidewalks with chalk
• Third Grade will go to Central Park to the Great Lawn and set up a free mini-carnival for passersby, complete with games, free lemonade, jokes, etc.
• Fourth Grade will got to Central Park and give out paper fans
• Fifth Grade will give out free water bottles of "Funny Water" w/jokes or nice messages on them.
The students then asked the recipient of this good deed to record it on the back of a special postcard (shown above), and then "Pay It Forward" in any way they choose. They were to pass the postcard on to the lucky person who they were kind to, and that person is asked to "Pay it Forward" as well. After 5 acts of kindness have been recorded, the postcard is to be mailed back to PS11.
We are happy to report that we already got some cards back before the end of school! Well done PS11! We look forward to posting the results here in the fall. Remember, there is no saying how far-reaching a simple act of kindness can be in this world!